Timeline of Hemming Park events:
1866 Heirs of Isaiah Hart sell the park to the City of Jacksonville for $10. The park is known as City Park.
1869 The St. James Hotel is constructed across the street and the park is renamed St. James Park.
1899 Civil War veteran Charles C. Hemming donates a monument to the park, which stands today in its center. The park is renamed Hemming Park.
1901 The Great Fire of 1901 burns and destroys most of Jacksonville’s urban core. The Charles C. Hemming monument is the lone structure left standing in the park.
1977 Hemming Park undergoes a transformation into a plaza. Bricks and pavers are introduced, covering the lawn and natural landscape. The park is then named Hemming Plaza.
2014 Friends of Hemming Park is awarded a contract to manage the plaza using placemaking, events, programs and new amenities to revitalize the public space. The plaza is renamed Hemming Park to reflect the aspiration to introduce more green space and encourage a greener, friendlier, more natural atmosphere.
Hemming Park contains a variety of historical landmarks and monuments, including the Charles C. Hemming Monument, the Charles Edward Bennett Statue, a John F. Kennedy Memorial, the Great Fire of 1901 Plaque, and the Axe Handle Saturday plaque.
Come visit us in Hemming Park to learn more about our history and see what the future has in store!