Park Ambassadors are responsible for a variety of tasks to improve the overall appearance, user
experience, cleanliness and perception of Hemming Park. Park Ambassadors will provide a high
level of visibility at the street level to serve as both a deterrent and reporter of unwanted
activity, while also providing friendly customer service to all those who use Hemming Park.
- Assist with daily set up and break down of park amenities and activities including
placement of moveable tables and chairs, play equipment, tents, fencing, promotional
signage, program supplies and other items as needed.
- Assist with setup and breakdown of special events hosted by or hosted in Hemming Park
including tents, tables, chairs, signage, music equipment, lighting and other items as
- Keep Hemming Park clean and safe by:
- Removing litter, cigarette butts and other debris from sidewalks, walkways,
fountains and tree beds
- Remove unapproved graffiti, posters and stickers from all surfaces
- Wipe and straighten all horizontal surfaces, including waste receptacles, tables
and chairs, fountain ledges and retaining walls
- Pull weeds from sidewalk cracks and tree beds throughout park. Provide supplemental
watering for container and/or plants plots as needed. Ambassadors will be trained by
landscaping professionals to identify and properly remove weeds.
- Use specialized mechanical equipment including, but not limited to, pressure washer
and utility vehicle, to deep clean Hemming Park on a regular basis.
- Patrol on foot, circulating throughout Hemming Park to deter nuisance activity and
violations of park rules through visible uniformed presence.
- Be watchful for criminal activity, and report to JSO through direct officer contact, 630-
0500, or 911 when appropriate. Ambassador must be able to articulate and provide
accurate description of persons, vehicles and other pertinent details.
- Firmly and courteously request compliance with park rules and nuisance laws, such as
panhandling, loitering, gambling, public drinking, littering and other disruptive behavior.
“Vice” crimes such as drug use and drug dealing should be reported immediately to JSO.
- Go out of the way to actively acknowledge park users and welcome visitors with a
friendly greeting. Be knowledgeable about daily events in Hemming Park. Be able to
provide visitors with directions, Downtown information or recommendations, ie. ATMs,
restrooms, restaurants, etc.
- Ambassadors must be able to “paint a picture” of daily park activities and users for
Friends of Hemming Park staff, board members and downtown stakeholders.
- Ambassadors will work with the Hemming Park/Library Social Service Worker to identify
park users who may be in need of social services including, but not limited to, housing
assistance, health services and medical care.
- Must have the physical capacity to walk continuously during an 8-hour shift and perform
duties such as lifting and placing tables and chairs, setup and breakdown of special
events including tents and tables, and other duties as assigned and within timelines.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all conditions with provided inclement weather gear.
- Must be able to speak, read and write the English in order to create basic reports.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Parking stipend
- Great work environment
- Competitive salary
Salary commensurate with experience and education.
For consideration, qualified candidates should send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.